- The Organizers of 5th edition of “Beats of Cochlea”, taking place within the framework of “Music in Human Auditory Development” Program hereinafter referred to as the Program, are the Institute of Physiology and Pathology of Hearing – World Hearing Center, 10 Mochnackiego St., 02-042 Warsaw, Poland and the Institute of Sensory Organs, Kajetany, 1 Mokra St., 05-830 Nadarzyn.
- The Organizers invite to cooperation companies, institutions and individuals who would like to make in-kind, financial or organizational contribution to preparation and realization of the “Beats of Cochlea”.
- The Organizers decide that “Beats of Cochlea” consists of Master Classes, which will end with the demonstration of participants” musical skills, hereinafter referred to as the “Final Musical Performance”.
2. Time and place
- „Beats of Cochlea” is held yearly in July, in relation to the celebrations of the anniversary of the Polish program of deafness treatment with hearing implants.
- The Master Classes and the Final Musical Performance can take place in music studios as well as in other venues of the Organizers and partners of the “Beats of Cochlea”.
3. Aims of the “Beats of Cochlea”
- to popularize and promote musical abilities and gifts (both instrumental and vocal) of children, youths and adults from different countries, who have hearing disorders and use auditory implants;
- to raise global awareness of the fact that hearing problems are not a barrier to professional interest in music and musical career;
- to discover musical talents among children, youths and adults with hearing disorders using auditory implants;
- to promote “Music in Human Auditory Development” Program, aiming at speeding up the rehabilitation process with the help of specially composed music for those with hearing impairments;
- to unify the community of hard-of-hearing people with musical talents;
- to give opportunity to people with hearing problems to share their musical experiences;
- to organize the “Beats of Cochlea” with clear and transparent rules of selection of performers.
“Beats of Cochlea” is an international artistic event for children, youths and adults with hearing disorders, who use auditory implants and are talented in music. “Beats of Cochlea” consists of Master Classes including both vocal and instrumental workshops conducted by professional musicians from Poland and abroad. The aims of the “Beats of Cochlea” are:
4. Rules of participation
- Applications are exclusively through the electronic Entry Form available in 4 languages (Polish, English, Russian, Spanish) on the website festiwal.ifps.org.pl. The application deadline is announced on the Festival website for each edition of “Beats of Cochlea”. After that date the Participant Entry Form is not active. The Organizers reserve the right to extend or shorten the application deadline.
- The Participant Entry should include:
- music material (own composition or cover, instrumental, vocal or vocal-instrumental piece), max. 5 minutes, in the following formats: audio files mp3, wma, or video files avi, mp4, mov, wmv; the basic key in which a piece of music is written and notation of the composition for piano in the key it will be performed;
- a short (min. 1000 characters) bio note of the Participant (in Polish or English) and a photograph;
- the type of the hearing implant used by the Participant;
- the date and place of implantation;
- the consent for data sharing as requested by the Polish law and consent to the use of the image.
- The Organizers select Participants qualified for Master Classes. The list of selected Participants is published online on the “Beats of Cochlea” website at least 14 days before the start date of Master Classes.
- Applications of people who are under 18 years old must include a signed Parental/Legal Guardian Consent Form. The Form is available to download on festiwal.ifps.org.pl
- The Festival Participant or his/her guardian declares and is liable for having the copyright to the work or rights or license to submitted work or composition.
- The Organizers reserve the right to shorten the presented composition during Master Classes or the Final Musical Performance.
- “Beats of Cochlea” and Master Classes are intended for children, youths and adults from different countries, who have hearing disorders and use auditory implants.
- The Organizers reserve the right to change (increase/reduce) the number of participants for Master Classes and Final Musical Performance.
- Evaluation and qualification of Participants to Master Classes is based on the level of musical and artistic skills presented in a submitted recording.
- Preselection is done by the Organizers, who reserve the right to appoint a Jury of “Beats of Cochlea”.
- To participate in the “Beats of Cochlea” it is necessary to provide a consent for use of image. Each participant must give his/her consent for use of image when filling in the Registration Form on the website.
- Any implanted person may apply to participate in the Master Classes, regardless of whether she/he participated in previous editions of “Beats of Cochlea”. However laureates of the previous 4th edition of the festival cannot enter the festival competition held in the form of auditions and take part in the Final Musical Performance as a laureate.
5. “Beats of Cochlea” framework
- The Final Musical Performance is proceeded by musical Master Classes during which famous artists share their experience with Participants.
- Considering the type of instrument or vocal skills, Participants of Master Classes are divided into the following groups:
- solo singing – singers;
- keyboard instruments;
- wind instruments;
- percussion instruments;
- stringed instruments.
- Master Classes will end with a musical performance of Participants.
- The order of performances during the Gala Concert is decided by the Organizer.
- The Program of the Festival may also be enriched with extra events such as mini concerts, guest performances, screenings of films.
6. Organizational information
- The Organizers provide accommodation, meals and cover the costs of transportation for all invited Participants of Master Classes and the Final Musical Performance. In case of Participants who are under 18 years old or those, who do not have full legal capacity, the Organizers cover also the costs of travel and meals for one legal guardian.
- The Organizers provide amplification equipment, technical and acoustic assistance.
- Participants of the “Beats of Cochlea” agree that their performances are documented and the recorded materials used for marketing and promotion of the “Beats of Cochlea” and “Music in Human Auditory Development” Program.
- The Festival may be cancelled at any time due to circumstances beyond Organizers’ control.
- The Organizers reserve the right to change the agenda of “Beats of Cochlea”.
- Awards are bestowed by the Organizers of the “Beats of Cochlea” or the Jury appointed by the Organizers.
- Following statutory awards are set:
- statuettes for all Participants of the Master Workshops;
- publication of the composition performed at the Final Musical Performance on a DVD/CD summarizing this year’s edition.
- The list of prizes may be subject to change.
8. Final provisions
- All matters not settled herein will be decided by the Organizers. These Bylaws and the “Beats of Cochlea” are subject to the Polish law.
- The submission of an Entry Form to the “Beats of Cochlea” is tantamount to accepting its Bylaws.
- The Organizers reserve the right to amend the Bylaws.